Student Finance loan calculator Ireland

April 20, 2017
Undergraduate students who

Key facts

  • The Maintenance Loan is to help with your living costs
  • You need to pay it back after you have finished your course
  • You will be charged interest on any amount you borrow

How much can you get?

The amount you can get depends on where you’ll be living during term-time. It is also affected by your income and that of your parents or partner.

Your living arrangements during term-time Maximum Maintenance Loan available Living with your parents £3, 750 Living in your own home and studying in London £6, 780 Living in your own home and studying outside London £4, 840 Studying overseas £5, 770

If your course is longer than 30 term-time weeks (plus short holidays) you can get an extra amount of loan to help with your living costs

Extra loan (per week) £55 £108 £84 £117
  • These grants are to help with your living costs
  • You do not need to pay them back
  • You can get either the Maintenance Grant or the Special Support Grant, not both

The amount you can get depends on your income and that of your parents or partner. The amount available is the same for both grants.

Total annual household income Amount available £19, 203 or less Full grant, £3, 475 Between £19, 204 and £41, 065 Partial grant Over £41, 065 No grant

Which can you get?

The Maintenance Grant is based on your household income. If it’s £41, 065 or less, you’ll be eligible to receive all or some of the support.

The Special Support Grant is based on your eligibility for income support or other means-tested benefits such as Housing Benefit. For example, if:

  • you're a single parent
  • your partner is a student and one or both of you are responsible for a child or young person under 20 who is in full-time non-advanced education
  • you have certain disabilities

With the Special Support Grant (unlike the Maintenance Grant) we will not reduce how much you get for your Maintenance Loan. Additionally, it does not count as income when working out income related benefits or tax credits.

Bursaries from universities and colleges

Some universities and colleges offer bursaries depending on your household's income, the course you study or the tuition fee you are charged.

The amount you are entitled to receive can be different depending on the university or college you go to, so you should contact them directly to find out more about the bursaries they offer.

Students with children or adult dependants

There are extra grants available if you have children or if you have any adults who depend on you financially. You would not have to pay any of these back.

Students with disabilities

If you have a physical or mental disability, or a specific learning difficultly such as dyslexia, there are grants available to help you meet the extra costs of study you might face. You would not have to pay any of these back.

Other sources of extra help

There are some other grants and extra help available. More information about them can be found here:

Studying in the Republic of Ireland?

If you’re studying in the Republic of Ireland you will pay a Student Contribution Fee every year.

If you started your course you can get a repayable Student Contribution Loan to cover this cost, for academic year 2016/17 this is €3, 000. You’ll receive an additional financial notification telling you of your entitlement to the Student Contribution Loan after you apply for academic year 2016/17. This is paid directly to your university or college after you register on your course.

Share this Post