Can international students get students loan Liverpool?

July 4, 2016
Liverpool Uni looking like

Fees cover the cost of your tuition, registration, examinations (but not resits) and graduation. These pages cover everything you need to know about fees and finance including:

Postgraduate Loan

Details of the £10, 000 loan scheme for full and part-time master’s programmes have now been confirmed.

  • You'll be able to borrow up to £10, 000 to study a taught, research or professional master’s programme in 2016 e.g. MA, MSc, LLM, MRes, MBA, MARM, MCD)
  • You can study full or part-time (with a minimum intensity of 50% full-time)
  • The loan can be used towards tuition fees and/or any other costs associated with study, including your living costs
  • You're eligible for the loan if you’re studying one of our on-campus master’s programmes or a master’s programme delivered by distance learning
  • You must be under the age of 60 to be eligible to apply for the loan
  • You must be a UK national, or have a settled status in the UK, and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years on the first day of the academic year of your course start date
  • If you are ordinarily resident in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland you are not eligible for the loan
  • You may be eligible if you are an EU national or family member of an EU national, or hold certain other defined statuses
  • The loan is not means tested
  • The loan will be issued directly to you in three instalments
  • Repayments will commence from April 2019 when you're earning £21, 000 or above will be calculated at 6% of income above the income threshold. This repayment threshold will be frozen until 2021
  • The loan will be issued by the Student Loans Company and will be recovered by Her Majesty’s Revenues and Customs *(HMRC).

The quickest and easiest way for students to apply is online at: .

Fee status

Levels of fees and eligibility for studentships or funding depend upon whether you are classified as a 'Home', 'EU' or an 'Overseas' (that is, international) student. Home students are people who are 'settled' in the UK as defined by the Immigration Act 1971 and have been 'ordinarily resident' in the United Kingdom throughout the three years immediately preceding the beginning of the programme. 'Ordinary Residence' does not include residence partly or wholly for the purpose of receiving full-time education. Certain persons may be exempt from the 'ordinary residence' requirement, eg:

  • Certain nationals of member states of the European Union
  • Persons recognised as refugees, their spouses and children
  • Persons who can satisfy the University that their inability to fulfil the ordinary residence requirement was solely because they, their spouses or their parents were temporarily employed abroad
  • Persons who have been granted 'Exceptional Leave to Remain' or 'Exceptional Leave to Enter' the UK, as a result of a failed asylum application.
Share this Post