Getting student loans discharged Belfast

December 12, 2017
Belfast emerged relatively

Discharge is usually automatic. To get proof, you can ask the official receiver for a confirmation letter. This won’t cost you anything.

You must get a Certificate of Discharge if you want to apply for credit or a mortgage after your bankruptcy has ended.

Contact the official receiver to ask for a Certificate of Discharge. You might have to pay a fee.

Bankruptcy registers

You must apply to both Land Charges and Land Registry to have your bankruptcy entry removed from any properties you still own after paying your debts.

Bankruptcy entries are automatically removed from the Land Charges register after 5 years if they’re not renewed.

Apply to Land Charges

You need to include:

  • a copy of your court order permitting the cancellation (or ‘vacation’) of the entry
  • £1 for each entry you want to cancel

Land Charges Department
Seaton Court
2 William Prance Road

Apply to Land Registry

You need to send Land Registry either:

You must include a copy of your court order.

Land Registry Bankruptcy Unit
Seaton Court
2 William Prance Road

All forms sent will be destroyed once the registers are updated. You can send copies if you write “I certify that this is a true copy of the original” together with your signature on the first page.

Your credit record

Credit reference agencies won’t be told directly when your bankruptcy ends - they’ll get this information from public records.

Your bankruptcy can stay on your credit reference file for 6 years from the date of your bankruptcy.

Debts that won’t be written off

When you’re discharged you’ll be released from most, but not all, of the debts you owed at the date of the bankruptcy.

Debts you won’t be released from include:

  • debts arising from fraud
  • anything you owe under family proceedings - unless the court decides otherwise
  • damages for personal injuries to anyone - unless the court decides otherwise
Share this Post