The application process for foreign schools differs from the process for domestic schools in the US. It is your responsibility to send us the documents we need to make your loan assessment. Please read this carefully. It will save time and inconvenience if you follow each of the steps detailed.
First time applicants wishing to apply for Federal Direct Loans should visit to:-
- apply for your FAFSA
- for subsidized and unsubsidized loans - complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- for PLUS loans - make application and complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)*
- complete Entrance Counselling
The University of Aberdeen School Code is G09368 (this code may also appear as 009368).
- A PDF copy of your completed Master Promissory Note (MPN) for subsidized and unsubsidized loans
- A PDF copy of your completed Master Promissory Note (MPN) for PLUS loans including confirmation of positive credit check.
- Confirmation of Entrance Counselling having been completed - screenshot or email
We can access your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) electronically so there is no need for you to send this document to us. It is used to assess your eligibility so it is important that you review it to ensure you have made any corrections that are necessary.
*It is common for students to borrow their full entitlement through the Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans and then top up their borrowing with the PLUS loan, so remember to complete both MPN's.
There are 3 stages to the PLUS application process. You must:
- Complete a Master Promissory Note
- Request a Direct PLUS loan
- Get confirmation of credit check
The credit check is tied in to the PLUS application process and will show as a document called PLUS correspondence. An example of the document we need to see can be found here. All documents will be saved as pdfs in the MyLoan Documents tab on the FSA portal.
Continuing students should follow the same processes above but are not required to complete the Entrance Counselling component.
What happens next?
We can’t start work on your loan assessment until you have received and accepted a firm offer of admission for your programme of study. If your offer of admission is still at the conditional stage or if you haven’t sent your acceptance, you can still send your documents and we will hold them on file until you have completed the admissions process.
If you have any questions about the admissions process contact our undergraduate or postgraduate admissions team for further information.